MEET JOSHUA MASON
I was born in Houston Texas and raised in Dennis, here in the First Barnstable District.
I graduated from Dennis-Yarmouth Regional High School in 2000 as a member of the class of the new millennium. I attended Hofstra University in New York graduating with a Bachelors degree in film production in 2004. After college I relocated to Los Angeles to work in the television and film industry. Following the recession of 2008 I moved to Manhattan, Boston, and then came home to Cape Cod permanently.
Since being back on Cape Cod full time I’ve noticed a lot of changes that have taken place, and not all of them positive. The past four years I have worked in hospitality management, building business relationships and more importantly customer relationships. I then decided to take that energy into the community and build stronger community relations through political activism. I channeled my experience of working on three presidential campaigns over the course of 17 years, and helped to get some of our brightest and best local officials elected.
In 2016 I decided it was time for me to step up and be the young, energetic, and fresh voice the First Barnstable District needs to serve its people responsibly, transparently, and effectively as State Representative. I believe that progress and change is possible while preserving Cape Cod’s natural attractions and rustic charm.
FACTS ABOUT JOSHUA
- Josh’s father is a descendant of the Reverend John Davenport as his paternal grandmother was a Davenport who came here at the time of the Mayflower.
- Josh’s father is a Veteran having served six years in the Marine Corps. Four of his brothers served in both the Army and Marines. Two were simultaneously in Vietnam and the others served in Europe and Asia.
- Josh’s mother’s family immigrated to the United States from Ukraine and Eastern Europe in the early 1900’s arriving through Ellis Island. As a little girl, his mother marched with and met, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in Roxbury MA, in May 1958. Her father, Josh’s maternal grandfather, served in WWII and was a liberator and his great uncle was shot down and taken prisoner by the Japanese.
- Josh spent the summer of his junior year in high school on a youth trip to Eastern Europe and Israel where he visited former concentration camps and sailed across the Mediterranean Sea from Cyprus to Haifa. Upon arrival in Israel, he spent the next five weeks touring the entire country camping and living amongst Israelis and Arabs.
- Josh’s love of film and theater started at a young age. He made his first movie while a student at Wixon Middle School with his production company, “Funky Flush Productions.” He played piano and violin and was a member of the Dennis Yarmouth School Orchestra as well as the Dennis Yarmouth Theatre Company where he acted in numerous productions.
- Josh’s hobbies are movies, music, and sports. He is a passionate Red Sox fan, his first film job was working on the film Fever Pitch during the historic 2004 World Series run. Josh also loves the Patriots and Celtics, and has an affinity for Trivia and occasionally snacking on skittles candy.